Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Playing with Tin Foil

Well I decided to try something a bit different and not sure of what I was going to get but I bought Bernie Berlin's ATC Workshop book. One of her tutorials called for using Metal repair tape and seeing that I didn't get the right tape and wasn't going to go back to spend more money on tape I decided to try this with tin foil. Here are just a couple of cards I made. I ended up making 7 all together but one is off to the UK as a surprise trade for my friend Jan. I hope she likes it.
Anyways I took a piece of tin foil slightly larger than my base card for the ATC, cut the corner much like I did when I did the plant poke tutorial, then I used 2 way tape all around the back of the card making sure the foil was secure. I coverd the back so this wouldn't show.
I took a flourish stamp and inked it up in black ink (does not have to be StazOn) and stamped on the foil. Then I took my stylus or you can used a ball point pen and just like you are tracing, trace all the lines in your stamped design. Make sure you don't press too hard and end up tearing the foil but you can just press into it and because you have put the foil on a piece of cardstock it helps to anchor the foil and not be so likely to rip when tracing.
Next get out your paint. I first used black as you will see in the Art of Passion card, then I moved on to other colours for experimentation. I like the dark colours the best. The paint gets into the grooves of your foil and settle there. I brushed paint all over the card then while still wet I took a kleenex and then started wiping making sure to lift some of the paint but not all of it. You can also used a pouncing motion up and down to remove paint which actually looks a bit better.
Then allow it to completely dry. Then start embellishing. I found using black and white images very striking and you can chalk the images so a particular colour stands out.
As you can see I have added ribbon and bits and a few words to mine. They are now up for trade over at

Here is A Night on the Town, the girls undergarment is in purple...

and this beauty is ready for Passion. She is chalked in red, most striking against the black and foil background.
And these 2 little gems are for my Christmas in July swap over at, the swap theme was to use bling which you really can't see. The Santa background is a brick stamp embossed over newsprint, then I rubbed pastels to colour them, then here and there I added Stickles for my bling. The ornament in Santa's hand is a stamped round circle and using Shrinky dink plastic I shrunk it for a nice ATC size for Santa. The frosty friends has bling too, the snow on the bottom is handmade paper that rips wonderfully then I scrunched it up, used gel medium to glue it down. Let dry then used Stickles on it. Oh so much fun we had making these.
Thanks for looking.


  1. ooh that sounds easy enough.. and so beautiful.. thanks for posting how you did this.. gorgeous cards Les..

  2. aww Les, these are all gorgeous, love what you have doen with the tin like you new blog look too...jenxo

  3. They are gorgeous Les :)
    Will be waiting by the letterbox now, whoo I love a surprise!!! ;) Thank - U!!
    Jan x


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...