Friday, April 22, 2011

GC99 Fan challenge

Hello everyone, I am again so excited to do a challenge over at Gingersnap Creations for the Random Redhead challenge, the theme being "fans".
I immediately took this challenge to a bit of a different level for me. I have a few blocks of Fimo clay hanging around waiting for something so I decided make a fan out of clay using stamps.
Well first of all I got a great book from my friend Becky (who doesn't have a blog yet but I have to work on her for that) at Christmas. Well I have scoured that book and looked it over and one thing really interested me was using your stamps to impress images into the clay. So I found an Asian Fan stamp in my acrylic collection and went to work. I put a little hole in the bottom of it to add a tassel to it later after it was baked.
I also made another project so I could use the heat in the over for something else and I will show that to you another time.
I got a number of these cute little frames at a Liquidation store and they were practically giving them away and that is really what inspired this whole piece.  The frames were a shiny almost skin tone ugly colour, poorly painted so I had a bit of sanding to do and gave it a facelift using black acrylic paint. When that was dry I took a piece of hemp and dipped it into gold paint then dragged it on the black surface. I also did some finger painting and smudged some of the gold. I then painted the fan gold after it was baked and cooled and then after the gold was dry I antiqued it with some burnt umber paint and then wiped most if it off leaving the paint to get in the areas where the birds were flying through the fan, if you can click the image you might see it better.


I then added some asian text tissue to the opposite corners on the frame, let it dry then attached the fan after making my tassel and added a little gem.
The Geishas were found in my stash today while cleaning up my craft area and it is printed on vellum so I put some white cardstock behind it to make the image show up better.
The measurements of the image area is 1 1/2x2 inches. Isn't this the cutest?
I have many more to make but next time I am going to bake the clay right on the wood surface. Stay tuned for a few posts later for that one.
Thanks for dropping by.

18 comments:

  1. It came out beautifully, Les! Can't wait to see more. I have beenleaning toward making Asian things since before the Gingersnaps decided that April was Asian month - and I am enjoying it so much! I see why you like this theme so much. So elegant and such beauty! guess what I'm doing tonight? It involves tags - hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This is fan-tastic! I love the clay fan - what a great idea. You inspire me to give a try. Thank you for playing along with us at Gingersnaps Creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - great creation for the fan challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing project- I just love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning! Love your fan challenge creation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just beautiful les, love how you are experimenting with all kinds of stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique and breathtaking fan. Love the texture and the richness of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. H Lesley
    This couldn't be anymore perfect. Stunning piece of artwork.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous Les.. I love it.. and now clay too???? lol will this be up for trade??? not that I can do anything this good but... you never know...
    Happy Easter ..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is absolutely gorgeous! What an amazing antiqued gold effect you've achieved - this looks like a vintage treasure. And I love how soft the image looks on vellum. Beautiful all around. Thanks for playing along at Gingersnap Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic, you have aged the frame beautifully and the vellum image ties in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you have done… a beautiful creation…i especially love the the fan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowsa this is beautiful Les, love what you did with the stamped clay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning project-the clay fan is the perfect touch. Very Creative.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! Your frame looks like a piece of raku pottery! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely shadow frame/box. it has a great aged ancient look about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your fan piece is fabulous--congratulations on being a Ginger Gem, Lesley!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...